Wednesday, May 6, 2009

My Dad is a HERO!

The below quotes are my Dad commenting on FB regarding a video of my sis Gwen on the roof of her house. She is afraid of heights. The video was pretty funny but that isn't the point of this post. My dad's comments touched my heart. You'll see why at the bottom of the post.

"This is very funny Gwen. I'm not sure what was funnier, watching you cling to the roof or Gabe's laugh. I didn't know you were that afraid of heights. Must have gotten that from your mother.......not your dad who was a fireman on high ladders and hung out of the window of a rescue helicopter."



"Krista, you probably don't remember when I feel off the roof of our house in Garden Grove and landed on our VW Van and broke the windshield. It was not funny at the time, but I can laugh now because only my ego was seriously hurt. Aaron's remembers it well. Now I know to Never climb on a wet roof. Safer to hang out of a helicopter door......... actually that was fun. Especially when I would be hoisted up and down while the helicopter hovered about 30 feet off the ground. I wish I had a few picture of that. Unfortunately we didn't all have camera phones in our pockets back then."

I wish I had a picture of that too! I would love to be able to show it my children. My dad has overcome many things that I would be sooooo scared to face in life. He is a MIGHTY man! In my minds eye I saw him in his younger years doing these things. A pic of him putting his life on the line for others would pretty much represent the life he lead for me and my siblings. I really do wish I had a pic of him hanging from a helicopter or on the top of a latter built to fight fires. Just so my kids could see it and better realize how amazing, brave, and selfless their grandpa....my dad...IS. I LOVE YOU DAD! Thanks for putting your life on the line. You're a HERO to your posterity!

3 comments:

Fisher Family Fun said...

You fell off a roof!?!? Girl were you a tomboy or what!? My dad threw me off a roof once into a pool! Heights don't scare me as much as falling from the height! Your dad is awesome! You are very lucky!

Jessica Havican said...

You stopped blogging!!

Jessica Havican said...

Thanks for your comment. You won't believe how many rude comments we get from people here about getting pregnant fast. We are very excited! But seriously, you stopped blogging! I'll take that as you're having a really fun and busy summer. Enjoy if you are! :-)