Saturday, January 10, 2009

Good, Better, and BEST

For my 2009 resolutions I want to rededicate my energy on the BEST and most important people in my life. Most of my goals are based on Sis Lawrence's talk last Women's Conference at BYU Utah in May of 08. I thought I would put my basic notes from her talk on my blog again for your reading pleasure.


In sis. Lawrence's class on "Good, Better & Best" she gave us five items that need to be family priorities. Family Prayer, Scripture Study, Family Dinner, FHE, and 1 on 1 Time.

Family Prayer

Sis. Lawrence talked about how her boys were competitive wich led to contention in the home. One morning, in family prayer, she asked Heavenly Father to bless them that there would be no contention in the home. The next morning one of her sons asked for the same blessing. Eventually the spirit of contention began to leave and the boys got along much better. That one phrase in family prayer did more good then all the lectures and time outs in the world.

Scripture Study

The BEST books are the scriptures and Teaching of the Prophets. If you haven't read from those you don't have time for any "good" books.

Family Scripture Study

As the children were younger they would dedicate bed time stories to scripture stories. She would use pics ect..... I love the idea of only reading scripture stories at night. I've been reading children's books then finishing off with the scriptures. My children have been much less attentive for the scripture stories then they were for the children's books. Now I use the pictures and read the story. I let the children take turns taking the scripture picture to bed. the next night they bring it back. We review it then start a new scripture story. It has been AWESOME!

When her children got older they had to read together in the morning. They would read one chapter every day. She said.."It's good to read the scriptures. It's better to apply it to your life. It's BEST to read the scriptures, apply it to you life and share your thoughts with each other." So as they read the chapter everybody would look for ways they could relate the scriptures to themselves. when the chapter was done they would take turns telling each other what the scriptures meant to them. TALK ABOUT TEACHING ME WHAT TO DO! I LOVE HER PRACTICAL APPROACH! SHE IS THE BEST TEACHER!!!

FHE

Good to be together. Better to be together and learn about the gospel. BEST to be together, learn about the gospel and feel the spirit. Always remember to bear your testimony of the doctrine being taught. the Holy Ghost will come and solidify the lesson being taught. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. When ever I teach a lesson in church I always close with my testimony. I will never again have a FHE with out doing the same!

Family Dinner

When she was in Russia (Elder Lawrence was Mission Pres. at the time.) they paid close attention to what gave the successful missionaries the advantage. Being a star athlete didn't help or hinder them. The best missionaries had good social skills and could talk with adults well. this is something we teach our children around the dinner table. The TV should never be on during dinner and any phone calls should go to the messages. She said that spontaneous dinner discussions were more influential then planned discussions.

1 on 1 Time

We need to spend time with each child every day. She gave some really good suggestions on how to make this work. If you're a gym rat.....take one of your teens with you. While you're making dinner, invite a child to join in. Some how use your daily to dos' and hobbies to be a way of spending time with the "one".

I can't write fast enough to make this quote word for word but this one sums it up. "When we put God 1st, all other things will fall into place or drop out of our lives."

So those are the basic 5 that we need to give our most effort. Thank you Sis Lawrence for helping me do the things I do, but to do them in the BEST way.

8 comments:

grandpaz said...

Krista, this is fantastic. Thanks for sharing Sis Lawrence great wisdom with all of us. I am so proud of you. I wish I could have been as good a dad to my kids growing up as you are a mom to your kids. You are doing a great job and the behavior of your children is a testimony of you and Paul's good parenting. Nice to see you making goals for the year and making Heavenly Father #1 in your personal and family life. Keep it up and you will never go wrong. Love Ya, Dad

GREENLAW said...

i loved that talk, too! thanks for the reminder!

jenifer oyler said...

That was good to read again! Thanks for sharing! Love You!

Kirsten said...

What a wonderful talk. It was nice as this New Year has approached to be reminded about what is truly important. I love the one on one time. It is definately not easy to do with so many kids, but the kids seem so much happier when they get the attention. Thanks for sharing these with us!!!

The Zambrana Family said...

Thanks for Sharing Krista. Those are great words of wisdom from somone who has been where we want to be someday...and that someday is coming much faster than we think. Isn't it crazy how fast they grow up. You are such a great example. I wonder if this talk is on the church website, I'd like to read the whole talk.

The Gage Cage said...

Dad,you were and ARE every bit of the good parent I aspire to be. You have always treated me in a way that made me want to be better and to please you. I am so lucky that I get to be Don Zambrana's daughter!!!! I LOVE YOU! You're the BEST!

Lisa said...

I love Sister Lawrence--such great words of wisdom. I need to work on the BEST things in my life, too!

You are so sweet to me, Krista! I'm actually sending a demo into a studio that produces LDS music, but we'll see. Don't hold your breath. I've auditioned for so many things in my life (since high school) and haven't made them...People are always looking for something else :) In the meantime, I'll just keep singing in church and to my kids at night :)

Lisa said...

I love BYU-Women's conference too. THANK YOU for posting this in your blog. I LOVED your notes. It's funny that even though we all know what we should be doing, when we're reminded we realize where we are & what we need to do to align ourselves. Nice. (l.b)