Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Womens Conference May 2008

This is our group off to Utah from Clovis to attend Womens Conference. I am so impressed that my dad was able to get this shot. I'm glad he is so camera happy. I hardly took any pics. Most of the pics in this post are from him. So starting form the front we have Nedra, Dad, Dee Harrison, Vi (i'm not sure what her last name is) Gwen and me. I had my ipod and was a happy passenger! It isn't very often I can listen to music and be left to my thoughts.


We stopped at the Dairy Queen in Bever Utah. In front was this great big rocking chair outside.
As you can see I'm not eating an ice cream. I haven't had a desert of any kind in a long time, not even one M&M. Probably three months now. I let myself go during the holidays big time. I gained almost 10lbs. I now have 4 lbs to loose to get down to my lightest weight since Jet was born. (4lbs makes a big difference on me.)I still want to get better then I've ever been but for now I'm just glad I didn't gain any weight on the trip. That isn't easy for a food addict like me! I promised myself I'd be super disciplined at least until Hawaii. I have also been working out with a two friends, Lisa and Amy. Lisa has a gym in her garage. Her husband was a body builder and has taught her all types of exercises. I love working out with her. It makes me push myself. Looking at her body is incentive enough. I'll take pics of us together sometime and post about that. Anyway, Aloha!

Gwen and I in the dorm room. I think I have more pics with no makeup then I do with make up. I guess that can happen when you're in the car as long as your at the destination.As soon as Jen arrived we went to Olive Garden for dinner. I think I made up for not eating deserts with just one meal. YUM!
Above Jen, Me, Gwen
Below Nedra, Dee, and Vi

We are waiting for my favorite class of the whole event "Good, Better, and Best" taught by Laurel Lawrence.



Pres. Monson was our concluding speaker. What a wonderful experience it was!!! I hope I can go again and again!

All in all it was awesome! We went to classes all day Thursday then a concert that night! So fun! Then more classes on Friday and the womens Conference closing with the prophet. It doesn't get any better then that. I don't want to take the time to put everything I learned on this post. i have my special note book for those types of things. I will share some of the most useful info though. I am so glad I was able to go. Growing up I learned a lot about what not to. It was so neet to have people teach me what to do. In sis. Lawrence's class on "Good, Better & Best" she gave us five items that need to be family priorities. Family Prayer, Scripture Study, Family Dinner, FHE, and 1 on 1 Time.

Family Prayer

Sis. Lawrence talked about how her boys were competitive wich led to contention in the home. One morning, in family prayer, she asked Heavenly Father to bless them that there would be no contention in the home. The next morning one of her sons asked for the same blessing. Eventually the spirit of contention began to leave and the boys got along much better. That one phrase in family prayer did more good then all the lectures and time outs in the world.

Scripture Study

The BEST books are the scriptures and Teaching of the Prophets. If you haven't read from those you don't have time for any "good" books.

Family Scripture Study

As the children were younger they would dedicate bed time stories to scripture stories. She would use pics ect..... I love the idea of only reading scripture stories at night. I've been reading children's books then finishing off with the scriptures. My children have been much less attentive for the scripture stories then they were for the children's books. Now I use the pictures and read the story. I let the children take turns taking the scripture picture to bed. the next night they bring it back. We review it then start a new scripture story. It has been AWESOME!

When her children got older they had to read together in the morning. They would read one chapter every day. She said.."It's good to read the scriptures. It's better to apply it to your life. It's BEST to read the scriptures, apply it to you life and share your thoughts with each other." So as they read the chapter everybody would look for ways they could relate the scriptures to themselves. when the chapter was done they would take turns telling each other what the scriptures meant to them. TALK ABOUT TEACHING ME WHAT TO DO! I LOVE HER PRACTICAL APPROACH! SHE IS THE BEST TEACHER!!!

FHE

Good to be together. Better to be together and learn about the gospel. BEST to be together, learn about the gospel and feel the spirit. Always remember to bear your testimony of the doctrine being taught. the Holy Ghost will come and solidify the lesson being taught. I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. When ever I teach a lesson in church I always close with my testimony. I will never again have a FHE with out doing the same!

Family Dinner

When she was in Russia (Elder Lawrence was Mission Pres. at the time.) they paid close attention to what gave the successful missionaries the advantage. Being a star athlete didn't help or hinder them. The best missionaries had good social skills and could talk with adults well. this is something we teach our children around the dinner table. The TV should never be on during dinner and any phone calls should go to the messages. She said that spontaneous dinner discussions were more influential then planned discussions.

1 on 1 Time

We need to spend time with each child every day. She gave some really good suggestions on how to make this work. If you're a gym rat.....take one of your teens with you. While you're making dinner, invite a child to join in. Some how use your daily to dos' and hobbies to be a way of spending time with the "one".

I can't write fast enough to make this quote word for word but this one sums it up. "When we put God 1st, all other things will fall into place or drop out of our lives."

So those are the basic 5 that we need to give our most effort. Thank you Sis Lawrence for helping me do the things I do, but to do them in the BEST way.

12 comments:

hawkins said...

I love the pics you got of the Marriot Center. It's cool to see the trip from your perspective. What a blast! Thanks for being such a great sis!!

rebecca @ older and wisor said...

Looks like it was lots of fun, and you got some great inspiration. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Cristy said...

Thank you!!!

James and Kresta said...

Wow. It looks like you had a blast! You have an awesome family.

Becca said...

Thanks for sharing everything! I'm glad that you guys had a great time!!

kelly said...

Thanks for all the info! I love the quote about not having time for "good" books!!!

kahnfam said...

I love all your pictures! You have a great dad who does so much with you guys. Plus, you look great! Only 4 more lbs, way to go!

bretandjulie said...

Glad that you had such a great time. Thanks for sharing your notes, I look forward to learning more. And what a treat to see President Monson! Sounds like you all had a fun time, and I heard that your Dad took very good care of everybody on the drive. Enjoy your time at home before gearing up for Hawaii.

Grandma Honey said...

First of all, I think you look great with makeup or no make up. When I hear your name brought up at church I often hear, "Isn't she beautiful!"

Also, I want to thank you for sharing the details of Laurel's talk. I hope it is one that will be shown on the BYU channel on May 15th. I loved what she said about missionaries and social skills, and also how she suggested having one on one time with children through the normal course of a day. She has always been very wise. She and her husband were in our ward when they first came to town and only had one baby.

I loved hearing about the conference. I can't go so it was especially good to read about it from you. Thank you!

Jill

Lisa said...

Thank you for posting some highlights from Sis. Lawrence's talk. I have always loved her talks/lessons. It's amazing how sometimes I feel like it's overwhelming to remember to do all the "best" things all the time...but I know the "best" things are also quite simple things that lead to more happiness in our family.

GREENLAW said...

krista... i also wanted to say thanks for taking good notes and posting them... i didn't get into sis. lawrence's class and i was so sad! great pics, too.. i never did see you there, but i'm glad you had a great time!! :)

Tad and Jennifer said...

Looks like you had a great time!! You look wonderful Krista, keep up the good work. It's great to be able to draw on the wisdom of others, thanks for sharing the things that you learned.