Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Kayla Joyce Gage

So I was in my bathroom, sitting in the sink, doing my make-up. My sister Jen was using the hall bathroom so Kayla came in to use my bathroom while I was getting ready. She had to do a little more than tinkle so we had a conversation while I was getting ready.

Kayla: You look pretty Mom.
Me: Thank you Kayla. You are one pretty girl yourself!
Kayla: I know.
Me: I'm so glad you know. You're the type of girl that can look in the mirror and know you have a pretty face aren't you? (I hope she will always know that she is beautiful!)
Kayla" Yeah! (I seriously wish you could hear this instead of just reading this conversation to hear how cute this conversation really was. When she said yeah she was almost saying duh!) You tell me all the time!
Me: You make it sound like that's a bad thing?
Kayla: I only need you to tell me on one day, not all the days.
Me: You're just so beautiful I can't help but say it all the time.
Kayla: But I already know. I remember you told me when I was borned! (I really really wish you could have heard her saying this.)


I guess it will just have to be the curse of my beautiful genius (so genius that she can remember everything I told her the day she was "borned") to have to deal with a my sincere and repetitive compliments.

I am also happy to announce that Kayla is a officially swimming with out floaties. Go Kayla! I'm so proud of you.

Kayla wanted a swim baby (doll). I told her I'd buy her one after she learned how to swim this summer. In the past Kayla was to scared to give swimming an honest try. I am not in a position to take her to swim lessons so I needed to come up with a good incentive for her to want to overcome her fear. She ended up buying herself a swim baby with a gift card she got from G & G Gage for her birthday in April. I let her buy it but told her I would wait to put batteries in it until she knew how to swim. Kayla has been a great sport and really trying hard to do what I've taught her to do in the pool. She got to the piont to where she could swim as long as she could hold her breath but didn't know how to come up for a breath between stops in the pool. So she had the skills but couldn't go long distances. My sister, Jen, is in town and she used to work at Jan Thomas Swim School. In less the 15 minutes she taught Kayla how to come up for air when she needed it. She has been practicing hard and has mastered it. Now she can swim on her own and LOVES it! Thanks Jen!!!! We are putting batteries in her swimming baby and going for a swim tomorrow morning.

8 comments:

Gage said...

Keep the compliments coming, every girl needs to hear they are beautiful...even if they all ready know. I can hear her talking as I read it. Too cute. Looks like you are having fun with your sisters, enjoy making the memories.

Grandma Honey said...

This is so GOOD. So good she knows YOU know she is beautiful! Keep telling her. Girls can never hear that enough.
But I'm still trying to figure out how you were sitting in the sink...

The Gage Cage said...

I put my feet in th sink and my bum is on the edge of the sink. I've been doing my make-up that way about as far back as I can remember. Being huge and pregnant doesn't make it easy. It makes it easier to see. Paul and my Dad make fun of me. Maybe one of these days I'll have Paul take a pic of me in the sink. Someday we'll build a house with a vanity area that will have a chair.;-) That is one of those things that is m=on my "I've made it" list.

Gwen Hawkins said...

I love that story. Because I am very familiar with Kayla's fantastic personality, I can totally imagine how she said it.

Jessica Havican said...

That is awesome that Kayla knows she is a beautiful girl. You do such a good job of genuinely complimenting people. I love what you said about having a vanity in your bathroom is on your, "I Made It" list. HA-HA! The time before last when I came out to Utah my friends and I were naming off little and big luxuries and called it..."You know you've got it made when..." That reminded me of that.

A vanity in my bathroom is totally on my list too. I prefer sitting in the sink as well, but it's kind of hard when your apartment has the teeniest counter/sink ever!

and..YOU'RE HOT!! :-)

GREENLAW said...

cute story... my ellie is CLOSE to swimming with no floaties, but not quite there yet. maybe we'll try a baby incentive! :)

Judy Ryan said...

I adore Kayla.

Be advised: you'll have to tell her again, and repeatedly, at age, oh, 12 or 13, and she'll roll her eyes and hope hope hope it's true.

kelly said...

Way to go Kayla! That's what Ben's working on, coming up for air. Swimming is so fun, I want everyone to be able to do it.